The Rehabilitation Services Department of Sierra Vista Hospital provides a comprehensive multidisciplinary team approach designed to help inpatients reach their full potential. Our team of Physical Therapists, Occupational Therapists and Speech and Language Pathologists work together with the patient, family and medical team to meet realistic and meaningful goals of recovery. Goals are specific to each individual. Therapy can range from brief consultation for minor injuries to long term intervention for more severe disabilities.
The Rehabilitation Services Department strives to provide quality patient care which is defined as:
Quality patient care effectively addresses identifiable rehabilitation problems and is delivered in an ethical, pleasant and efficient manner with sufficient frequency, consistency and progression of treatments to meet the goals.
- focus on the total patient while providing comprehensive care
- design individualized treatment programs after evaluation
- utilize a team approach
- involve families by working together toward functional and meaningful goals
- provide education and training to adapt the work and home environment to accommodate alterations in function
- work closely with key physician groups, including Neurologists, Orthopedists, Internists, Oncologists, Family Practitioners and Rheumatologists
- Physical Therapy
- Evaluates and treats disorders involving deficiencies in range of motion, muscle strength and endurance, balance, muscle tone, disturbances in walking and painful conditions. Some techniques include therapeutic exercise, neuromuscular retraining, relaxation techniques and modalities of heat, cold and electrical stimulation.
- Occupational Therapy
- Focuses on restoring a person's ability to perform daily functional life skills such as dressing, hygiene and meal preparation. Tasks are broken down into manageable parts and techniques for adapting to the activity are taught. The ultimate goal is to enable individuals to assume an optimal level of independent functioning and sustain the highest quality of life.
- Speech and Language Pathology
- Facilitates the development and maintenance of human communication. This includes screening, identifying, assessing, rehabilitating and preventing disorders of speech, language, oral function, swallowing, cognition/communication and speech/language proficiency.
- Pre-Operative Classes
- Sierra Vista offers a pre-operative educational program to help you know what to expect before and after your joint replacement surgery. Joint Success is held on the third Thursday of each month from 2:30-4:30pm in the Sierra Vista Auditorium. Registration is required.
- Services are available seven days a week. Services are provided to all departments of the hospital including Medical Surgical areas, Intensive Care Unit, Definitive Observation Unit, Maternal Child, Ambulatory Services, Emergency Room and the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.
Examples of services offered:
- Therapeutic exercise
- Transfer training
- Gait training
- Neuromuscular re-education
- Neurodevelopmental assessment
- Oral-motor dysphagia training
- Activities of daily living
- Cognitive retraining for safety and judgment deficits
- Splinting and positioning
For more information, contact Rehabilitation Services at (805) 546-7648.
Return to the Top